Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ann Patchett's Bel Canto

     A house full of men and one woman-- how seductive. Ann Patchett's Bel Canto is suspenseful and romantic. It tells the story of famous opera diva Roxanne Coss, Mr. Hosokawa and his translator Gen, terrorist and beauty Carmen, and last but not least,  love-sick Monsieur Thibault. Their lives change completely all because of one fateful night-- Mr. Hosokawa's Birthday. In an attempt to kidnap the president and overthrow the government in hopes of a revolution, a group of terrorists hold a group of important people hostage for 4 and a half months. The story is about the intangible things that bring people together in trying and desperate times-- the main intangible thing being love.  Although this was a lovely read, the jury is still out on how I  feel about it. No doubt, Patchett is a talented writer with a penchant for beauty and decadence, but I couldn't help feeling that something was missing. Maybe I was expecting more romance? More terror? I think at some point I was waiting for a tear-jerker (I know that sounds horrible). In my defense, however, not all tear-jerkers make terribly cheesy literature. Ultimately I feel as though the main characters lack depth-- I think this is so mostly because the reader is not offered a real glimpse into a character's background, thereby making it difficult to form any real attachments. Albeit, I still couldn't help being attached to Carmen because I empathize with her desire to learn. Alas, I am every bit ambivalent about this novel.
     The most enjoyable parts of the novel where the ones involving the dissolving tensions between the terrorists and the hostages. At other times, I was inspired to listen to opera or maybe even learn to play piano. Patchett is just that good. Overall, it was a pleasant read, even though the ending is a little on the sad side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment